Cooking Time: 5 Minutes
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Total Serves: 4
The Ingredient List
- MAGGI Masala-ae-Magic - 1 Packet
- Puff Rice - 4 Cups
- Salt - ½ Teaspoon or As Per Taste
- Chanachur (Or Any Mixture Available In Market) - 4 Tablespoons
- Sev/Aloo Bhujia - 4 Tablespoons
- Peanuts - 2 Tablespoons
- Lemon Juice - Half A Lemon (Squeezed)
- Onion - ½ Cup (Finely Chopped)
- Cucumber - ½ Cup (Peeled & Finely Chopped)
- Tomato - ½ (Chopped & Deseeded)
- Potato - 1 Small (Cut Into Cubes) (Boiled & Peeled)
- Green Chillies - 2 (Chopped) + 2 (Whole Chilli)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 3 Tablespoons
- Mustard Oil - 3 Tablespoons
- Yellow Peas - 3 Tablespoons (Boiled)
- Bengal Gram/Black Chana - 3 Tablespoons (Boiled)
- Mango Pickle Oil - 2 Tablespoons
The Easy Steps
- We need perfect crisp puffed rice for making Jhal Muri. First, we will take 4 cups of puffed rice in kadai and slowly roast it for 2-3 mins. We will keep stirring and after 2 mins, will keep it aside. Alternatively, you can microwave it for 20 seconds.
- While step 1 is going on, we will boil soaked yellow peas, soaked black chana, and a potato in a pressure cooker and wait for 4-5 whistles on a medium flame.
- We will finely chop the onion, cucumber, tomato, green chillies, and fresh coriander leaves as per the ingredient list.
- Take out the boiled potato, peel and cube it.
- Slice a fresh lemon and keep aside.
- For crisp Jhal Muri, keep all the ingredients around the mixing bowl or mixing steel dabba. (I am using a steel dabba. Why? Because I love "Muri Kaka"s style! So, let’s keep all remaining dry and wet ingredients around the mixing dabba. Because if you start mixing Jhal Muri and then start searching for all ingredients in your kitchen, then you will be disappointed with soggy Jhal Muri and we don’t want that.)
- Let’s assemble all the ingredients now. First start with dry ingredients, in a steel dabba, add puffed rice, MAGGI Masala-ae-Magic, salt, chanachur, aloo bhujia/sev, peanuts.
- Mix them all swiftly with a steel spoon.
- Now quickly, add wet ingredients- onion, cucumber, green chillis, tomato, boiled yellow peas and black chana, boiled potato cubes. Mix all with puffed rice,
- Then add chopped coriander leaves, mustard oil, and of course mango pickle oil. Please do not skip pickle oil. It takes the taste to another level. If you don’t have a mango pickle, you can use any pickle oil.
- Please note I have NOT added chat masala, cumin powder, red chili powder. Only because I have used MAGGI Masala-ae-Magic which will provide perfect “muri masala" taste.
- Mix all and then squeeze half of a lemon.
- Serve it immediately in a bowl or traditional paper bag (thonga) with a coconut slice on top and a whole green chilli inserted in the middle of Jhal Muri thonga.
- Have a cup of piping hot tea along with your bowl of Jhal Muri.
Now its time to enjoy every bite of crispy, crunchy Jhalmuri - have one morsel of Jhal Muri, then bite in the whole green chilli, and then soothe out your spicy tongue with a sip of hot tea, repeat and repeat till you have the last tiny muri in your thonga.
Sound interesting? Let’s try it ….You have now the magic recipe to set the evening as magical as you wish!