Cooking Time: 38 Minutes
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Total Serves: 4
The Ingredient List
For Making Gatta
- Gram Flour - 1½ Cups
- Turmeric Powder - ½ Teaspoon
- Coriander Powder - ½ Teaspoon
- Cumin Powder - ½ Teaspoon
- Fenugreek Leaves - ½ Teaspoon
- Ghee - 2 Tablespoons
- Salt - 2 Pinches
For Making Gravy
- Oil - 7 Tablespoons
- MAGGI Masala-ae-Magic - 1 Packet
- Onion - 2 (Paste)
- Ginger - ½ Tablespoon (Paste)
- Garlic - ½ Tablespoon (Paste)
- Tomato - 1 (Paste)
- Gram Flour - 1 Tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- Bay Leaves - 1
- Coriander Powder - 2 Teaspoons
- Cumin Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Sugar - 1 Teaspoon
- Salt - 2 Pinches
- Coriander Leaves - 2 Tablespoons (Chopped)
The Easy Steps
For Making Gatta:
- Take a bowl, add 1½ cups of gram flour into it. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and 2 pinches of salt, mix the spices properly into the gram flour.
- Add 2 tablespoons ghee and fenugreek leaves into the mixture to make the gatte soft. Add water to the mixture and make dough from it. Remember not to make the dough too hard or too soft.
- Make 4-5 medium sized dumplings from this dough. Remember to make dumplings according to your utensil you will be using for boiling else it will be difficult to boil.
- Take a saucepan, add water to it and boil it on medium flame. When water starts boiling, add the dumplings to the pan, and leave it for 5 mins.
- After 5 minutes, check if bubbles are coming on the surface of the dumplings. if they are coming, switch off the gas and take out the dumplings with tongs and keep it aside for cooling for 2 mins.
- After 2 mins, cut the dumplings into small equal pieces. Take 4 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and let the oil get heated. After that, put the small pieces of the dumplings into the pan and fry them on medium flame till it gets golden brown.
- Keep them on a plate and keep aside the water in which we have boiled the gatte. Now our gatte are ready, now we will prepare the gravy.
For Making Gravy:
- We put some oil into the frying pan and let it heat for 2 mins. Then, put a pinch of cumin seeds and 2 bay leaves into it. Now add onion paste into the pan and sauté it for 3 to 4 mins on medium flame. Add ginger, garlic paste, and sauté it for 1-2 mins on medium flame.
- We add tomato paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, gram flour, turmeric, MAGGI Masala-ae-Magic, and a pinch of salt, sauté it for 5-6 mins on low medium flame.
- Now we see the gravy is becoming brownish and releasing little oil into the pan. We add the sugar and the water which we have used for boiling the gatte, cover the pan lid to get the gravy cooked properly. We keep the flame medium and leave it for 10 mins to get cooked properly.
- Now we leave all gatte into the gravy slowly and put the flame low for a couple of minutes to get the gatte cooked well. After 2 mins, we switch off the gas. Now gatte is ready for serving.
- Now put the gatte into and serving bowl and sprinkle some coriander leaves over it. It will bring good taste and look to the gatte.
- Adding ghee into gatte makes it soft.
- Onion paste takes more oil to fry as compare to the chopped onion.
- You may fry gatte if you like else you can use it just boiled.
- We use the water used for boiling gatte because it contains all the nutrients.