Cooking Time: 120 Minutes
Preparation Time: 1.5-2 Hours
Total Serves: 5
The Ingredient List
- 1 ½ cup All purpose flour
- 200ml Water
- 4 pinch salt
- 500gm Cabbage(Finely Chopped/Grated)
- 1 Medium sized Carrot (Finely Chopped)
- 60gm French Beans(Finely Chopped)
- 1 inch Ginger(Finely Chopped/Grated)
- 1 Bulb Garlic (Finely Chopped)
- 30gm Spring Garlic (Finely Chopped)
- 30gm Spring Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 30gm Coriander (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Packet MAGGI Magic Masala
- 1.5 tbsp Salt (Adjust to taste)
- ½ tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
CHILLI GARLIC SAUCE :
- 5-6 Kahmiri Red Chilli (Whole)
- 1 Bulb Garlic ( Finely Chopped)
- 1 ½ inch Ginger ( Finely Chopped)
- 3 Tomatoes ( Whole)
- 1 MAGGI Magic Stock Cube- Vegetarian (Crumbled)
- ¾ tsp Salt (Adjust to Taste)
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 ½ cup Water
- 400gm Hung Curd
- 200gm Fresh Cream
- 2 tbsp Ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 2tbsp Garlic (Finely Chopped)
- 30gm Fresh Coriander (Finely Chopped)
- 1tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Amchur Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- 1tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tnsp Salt( Adjust to Taste)
- 2 tbsp Kasoori Methi
- 1 Medium Size Coal
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 50gm Butter(Melted)
- 200gm Fresh Cream
- ½ cup Afghani Marinade
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Chaat Masala
Optional- Onion, Tomato, Capsicum-Diced
The Easy Steps
- Prepare all the ingredients as mentioned.
- For the Momo Wrapper, boil water with salt and add the measured amount of flour and combine well using a spatula. Cover and rest for 30 mins and knead till a smooth dough is formed.
- Once the dough is ready, form small balls of dough of about 15-20gm(each) and roll them into very thin and round wrappers.
- Roll out the complete dough.
- For the Momo Filling, take finely chopped cabbage and add about a tsp of salt and leave it for 5 mins. Take a cheesecloth/muslin cloth and remove all the water of the cabbage to ensure it is dry and doesn’t break the momo wrapper.
- To the dry cabbage add in carrots, french beans, ginger, garlic, spring garlic, spring onion,coriander, MAGGI Magic Masala,salt, red chilli powder and black pepper powder and mix everything till combined uniformly.
- For Shaping the Momos, take some water in a small bowl to help seal the momos. Take a momo wrapper and add about 2-3tbsp momo filling and seal it making small folds. Make all momos in a similar manner.
- Steam the momos for about 2-3 minutes (we don’t have to steam them till they are cooked, we want them to be cooked a bit so that they firm up and are cooked little bit to make the marination process smoother). Steam all the momos in similar manner.
- For Afghani Marinade, in a bowl add in hung curd,fresh cream, ginger,garlic,coriander,black pepper powder, garam masala, amchur powder, red chilli powder, chaat masala, lemon juice, salt and kasoori methi and give it a mix till everything is well combined. You can also add diced onion, tomato and capsicum at this stage(optional).
- Take the coal and burn it in flame so that it is alive and place it onto a bowl. Add in ghee to it so that the coal smokes and place this bowl in marinade and keep it covered for 8-10 mins. This gives a nice and smoky flavor to the marinade. After 8-10 mins remove the coal bowl from the marinade.
- Add the half steamed momos in the afghani marinade and let it marinate for about 30 mins.
- Once Marinated, place the momos in a skewer and barbeque on live coal till it is charred a bit or black spots starts to appear. Barbeque all the momos similarly. Momos can also be cooked on a tawa if barbeque is not available.
- For Afghani Gravy, add in butter, fresh cream, afghani marinade, salt, and chaat masala and give a mix till well combined.
- Coat the barbequed momos in the afghani gravy and serve hot with the Chilli Garlic Sauce.
- For Chilli Garlic Sauce, in a pan add tomatoes and Kashimiri Red Chilli along with water and boil for 8-10 mins.
- Remove tomato peels and cool tomatoes and kashmiri red chillies.
- Once cooled, add tomatoes, kashmiri red chillies, half finely chopped ginger and garlic and 1 MAGGI Magic Stock Cube-Vegetarian and blend into a chunky puree.
- In a pan add oil, leftover ginger and garlic and the blended tomato puree along with salt. Cook it till it thickens and serve with hot Afgani Momos.